Christian Library | Full Free Coptic Books | Orthodox Library
Divinity of Christ, book by H. H. Pope Shenouda III
31- No one is good but One, that is, God
With Respect to Him Being Good and Holy
This proof contains three main points:
(A) No one is good but One, that is, God (Matt. 19:17)
(B) Christ is good and holy
(C) Conclusion: Christ is God
(A) No One Is Good But God Alone
(1) The Book of Psalms says: "They have all turned aside, they have together become corrupt; there is none who does good, no, not one" (Ps. 14:3); (Ps. 53:3). St. Paul the Apostle referred to this verse in his Epistle to the Romans, in chapter 3, verse 12.
(2) St. John the Beloved testifies to this fact and says: "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us" (1 Jn. 1: 8). That is why the saints confessed that they were sinful. St. Paul the Apostle, who ascended to the third heaven, said the "sinners of whom I am chief" (1 Tim. 1: 15), and: "For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin... For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells" (Rom. 7:14,18).
(3) All human beings are sinful, whereas God alone is good, as the Lord Himself says: "No one is good but One, that is, God' (Matt. 19:17).
(4) Also, the Holy Bible says that God is holy. The Seraphim cried to Him, saying: "Holy, holy, holy" (Is. 6:3), and the Virgin Mary said: "For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name" (Lk. 1:49).
(5) Moreover, the Holy Bible confines holiness to God alone, according to the song in the Book of Revelation: "Great and marvellous are Your works Lord God Almighty! Just and true are Your ways, 0 King of the saints! Who shall not fear You, 0 Lord, and glorify Your name? For You alone are holy" (Rev. 15:3,4).
Like & share St-Takla.org
© Saint Takla Haymanout Website: Coptic Orthodox Church - Alexandria, Egypt / URL: https://st-takla.org / Contact us at