With Respect to Him Being the Forgiver of Sins
(A) God Is the One Who Forgives Sins
(1) David the Prophet says in the Psalm: "Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul,.. who forgives all your iniquities" (Ps. 103: 1), and also: "If You, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You" (Ps. 130:3,4).
(2) It is written in the Book of Exodus: "The Lord, the Lord God, merciful and gracious... forgiving iniquities and transgression and sin" (Ex. 34:6,7).
(3) The Lord Jesus Christ taught us to pray to God asking for the forgiveness of our sins, in the Lord's Prayer (Matt. 6:12), and asked us to forgive others in order to deserve God's forgiveness to us (Matt. 6:14,15).
(4) The Jews understood this fact and believed that no One could forgive sins except God alone.
(B) The Reason Why God Alone Is the Forgiver of Sins:
(1) Forgiveness is an entitlement of God alone, because actually sin is committed against God. It is a breach of His commandments, a transgression of His law and a rebellion against His kingdom. It is also lack of love towards God, preferring evil to Him; it is ingratitude to Him. Sin is a rejection of God. This is clear from the words of the Lord: "I have nourished and brought up children, and they have rebelled against Me... They have provoked to anger the Holy One of Israel" (Is. 1:2-4).
(2) Even the sins which people commit against each other, before being sins against man, are foremost sins against God; against His commandments, against those whom He created. That is why David says in his Psalm of Repentance: "Against You, You only, have I sinned, and done this evil in Your sight" (Ps. 51:4). When Nathan faced him with his sin, he said: "'I have sinned against the Lord 'And Nathan said to David, 'The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die' " (2 Sam. 12:13,14).
See also (Mic. 7:9); (Is. 42:24); (1 Kin. 8:45,46) and (Deut. 1: 4 1).
©st-takla.org : Saint Takla Haymanout Website: General Portal for the Coptic Orthodox Church Faith, Egypt / Contact us at:
Bible | Daily Readings | Agbeya | Books | Lyrics | Gallery | Media | Links | Contact us