St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories
St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories

Christian Library | Full Free Coptic Books | Orthodox Library

Short Stories (Stories for the Youth), book by Father Tadros Yacoub Malaty

578- Man Corrupting Nature

 

Monica noticed her son Michael calm thinking contemplatively. She asked him, “What are you thinking of?”

“Mom, we went yesterday to the open zoo. I noticed that lions live peacefully with each other. Likewise, the tigers and the foxes. An animal doesn’t eat another one of the same race. Why then does Man wage war against his brethren in other countries?”

Monica answered, “I’ll tell you a symbolic story which reveals how Man corrupted nature itself:

It was said that all animals and birds lived together peacefully on a beautiful island enjoying nature. There was a duck living joyfully. She spent much time swimming with the other aquatic creatures. Once in a dream, she saw a far land much more beautiful than the land she lived on. In the morning, she left her companions and swam to the other land until she got fatigued. At last, she reached the shore of that land.

She slept there and saw a wonderful dream. She saw herself on an extremely beautiful land and heard a voice saying, “You’ve reached the fair land. Here, you’ll see wonders but be careful, here, Man lives. He’s the greatest creature and the king of the earth. He’s intelligent, creative yet, evil. He’d corrupted his life and is now corrupting that of others.”

The duck got up frightened. She walked to find a lion coming out of his den. He asked her, “Who are you and what’s your name? I never saw your like before.”

She said that she was a duck coming from a beautiful island inhabited by animals and birds living peacefully together. She also told him about her dream. He was amazed since he had a similar dream. He said, “Anyway, don’t be afraid. I don’t think that Man’s stronger than me. Follow me and I’ll protect you. I’ll devour him.”

The duck rejoiced and followed. Suddenly, they saw a donkey running. The lion asked him, “Why are you running?”

St-Takla.org Image: Noah's Ark, and Noah's survival with his wife and sons, Coptic art by Tasony Sawsan. صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: فلك نوح ونجاته مع أولاده وزوجته، فن قبطي من رسم تاسوني سوسن.

St-Takla.org Image: Noah's Ark, and Noah's survival with his wife and sons, Coptic art by Tasony Sawsan.

صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: فلك نوح ونجاته مع أولاده وزوجته، فن قبطي من رسم تاسوني سوسن.

“I escaped from Man. Though I serve him he’s very cruel.”

“Don’t be afraid. I’ll devour him.”

After a while, they saw a camel fleeing from Man. The lion assured them that he would protect them. The lion saw a strange creature carrying wood and a bag. The lion asked him, “Who are you?”

“I’m a carpenter going to make a den for the tiger, the king of the animals.”

“I’m the king. Make me a den first then go.”

“I can’t give up my promise.”

The lion beat him thus he fell on the ground. He apologized calmly, “I’ll make you a den. You’re really the king.’”

In a while, the carpenter made a large box and said to the lion, “Please get in to see if it suits you.”

As the lion get in it, the carpenter covered him with wood. The lion roared asking to get out. Then, the carpenter said, “I’ll make you

An iron cage to live in all your life.”

“Are you Man?”

“Yes, I’m Man whom you want to devour.”

When the animals saw this, they served Man fearing him.

→ English translation of the story here at St-Takla.org: الإنسان الذي أفسد الطبيعة.

St-Takla.org Divider

The first Adam lived peacefully with all creatures.

Through sin, Man was corrupted,

And the earth was cursed because of him.

War then began among all creatures.

May Your righteousness fill my heart and Your peace return to me.

Then, all the earth would be filled with peace and joy.

“For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one,

And has broken down the middle wall of separation,

Having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is,

The law of commandments contained in ordinances,

So as to create in Himself one new man from the two,

Thus making peace”

(Eph. 2.14-15).


Bible | Daily Readings | Agbeya | Books | Lyrics | Gallery | Media | Links

https://st-takla.org/books/en/fr-tadros-yacoub/short-stories/0578-nature.html

Short URL (link):
tak.la/zd2j22t