St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories
St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories

Christian Library | Full Free Coptic Books | Orthodox Library

Short Stories (Stories for the Youth), book by Father Tadros Yacoub Malaty

552- The Emperor's Driver

 

St-Takla.org Image: Pavement mosaic with a circus charioteer of the albata (white) faction (chariot driver). Roman artwork, first half of the 3rd century CE. From the Villa dei Severi at Baccano, 16 miles from the Via Appia - National Museum of Rome – Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, Rome, Italy صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: لوحة موزاييك أو فسيفساء على الرصيف تصور سائق مركبة من عُصبة ألباتا، فن روماني، فيلا دي سفيري في باكانو، في المتحف الروماني القومي، بالازو ماسيمو ألي تيرمي، روما، إيطاليا

St-Takla.org Image: Pavement mosaic with a circus charioteer of the albata (white) faction (chariot driver). Roman artwork, first half of the 3rd century CE. From the Villa dei Severi at Baccano, 16 miles from the Via Appia - National Museum of Rome – Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, Rome, Italy.

صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: لوحة موزاييك أو فسيفساء على الرصيف تصور سائق مركبة من عُصبة ألباتا، فن روماني، فيلا دي سفيري في باكانو، في المتحف الروماني القومي، بالازو ماسيمو ألي تيرمي، روما، إيطاليا.

The emperor's driver died and the emperor had to choose a driver for his royal chariot. He made an announcement to his people that he whoever found himself fit for this vacancy should apply. On the appointed day, the people went to see who would be chosen. A driver drove the chariot from the courtyard to the emperor's palace which was on the top of a high mountain. He was able to drive it in the hard roads of the mountain and return very skillfully and quickly. The people cried, "This should be the man chosen!"

Another driver did the same but more skillfully and quickly. Then, the people cried for the second time, "This should be the man chosen."

A third driver drove the chariot but very quietly avoiding the slopes; it took him a long time to climb the mountaintop and return. Therefore, all people mocked at him, "He's very slow and inexperienced."

Nevertheless, the emperor announced, "This is the man whom I can trust."

The people wondered of the emperor who taught them a lesson: man should be rational and wise not rash.

→ English translation of the story here at St-Takla.org: سائق الإمبراطور.

St-Takla.org Divider

God, You descended to us not crying out, no one hearing Your voice in the streets.

With Your love, You gave peace to many people.

Grant me the spirit of meekness and reasoning.

 

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls" (Matt. 11.29).

 

“Rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God(1 Pet. 3.4). 


Bible | Daily Readings | Agbeya | Books | Lyrics | Gallery | Media | Links

https://st-takla.org/books/en/fr-tadros-yacoub/short-stories/0552-chauffeur.html

Short URL (link):
tak.la/5hmf7cs