St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories
St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories

Christian Library | Full Free Coptic Books | Orthodox Library

Short Stories (Stories for the Youth), book by Father Tadros Yacoub Malaty

507- Build me a Palace like Yours

 

H.G. Bishop Reweis related the following story

 

A believer was employed by a rich woman. The man was pious and loving. When his wife asked him about his salary he would not tell her saying, “Had you asked for something and I didn’t bring it to you?”

“I don’t deny your generosity.” She replied, “But I want to know where do you save the rest of the salary.”

“I’m responsible for getting you all what you want with pleasure.” He lovingly answered, “Yet, please don’t ask me where I save the rest.”

Though she loved and completely trusted her husband, she went to the rich lady, out of curiosity, to ask her about her husband’s salary.

St-Takla.org Image: Exterior of one of Gonder castles - from St-Takla.org's Ethiopia visit - Photograph by Michael Ghaly for St-Takla.org, April-June 2008. صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: العمارة الخارجية لقلعة من قلاع جوندر - من ألبوم قصور الملوك في جوندر، الحبشة - تصوير مايكل غالي لموقع الأنبا تكلاهيمانوت، من رحلة موقع الأنبا تكلا إلى إثيوبيا، إبريل - يونيو 2008.

St-Takla.org Image: Exterior of one of Gonder castles - from St-Takla.org's Ethiopia visit - Photograph by Michael Ghaly for St-Takla.org, April-June 2008.

صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: العمارة الخارجية لقلعة من قلاع جوندر - من ألبوم قصور الملوك في جوندر، الحبشة - تصوير مايكل غالي لموقع الأنبا تكلاهيمانوت، من رحلة موقع الأنبا تكلا إلى إثيوبيا، إبريل - يونيو 2008.

“I trust him much.” The rich lady said, “and I pay him a very big salary. Didn’t he tell you?”

“He didn’t.” The wife replied. “He’s loving and generous with me as with others. I really want nothing. Yet, why doesn’t he tell me his secrets when I’m his wife?”

The rich lady talked to the man and asked him why he hid his secrets from his wife.

“I’m always frank with my wife.” He answered. “I love her and I’m ready to give up anything for her. I just don’t want her to worry about money.”

Finding him so insistent not to tell her where he saved his money, she sacked him. However, he never lost his peace. At night, the lady saw in a dream that she rose up to Heaven and saw a great palace. When she asked an angel, “To whom does this palace belong?”

“It’s your former employee’s.” He replied.

“Where’s mine then?” She asked thinking, “If this palace is my employee’s how beautiful and great will mine be?”

The angel summoned her to go with him. She went to a distant place where he showed her a very small hut and said, “This is your mansion.”

“Can it be that my employee lives in a very great palace and I dwell in that very small hut?” She said in agitation.

“This is what the employee’s built and that is what you built.” The angel replied.

The lady woke up very perplexed. She called the employee and said to him, ”Today, I leave you all my money to build me a palace like yours.”

He opened the doors of her palace for the poor. On the other hand, the lady and the man’s wife, who then knew what the lady had seen in her dream, were very happy with this wise man’s deeds and helped him serve the poor.

→ English translation of the story here at St-Takla.org: ابنِ لي قصرًا كقصرك!

St-Takla.org Divider

 

"Blessed is he who considers the poor; the lord will deliver him in time of trouble" (Ps. 41.1).

 

"He who oppresses the poor reproaches his Maker, But he who honors Him has mercy on the needy" (Prov. 14.31).

 

"Whoever shuts his ears to the cry of the poor Will also cry himself and not be heard" (Prov. 21.13).

 

"Because that alms do deliver from death, and suffereth not to come into darkness" (Tob. 4.10).

 

"For alms is a good gift unto all that give it in the sight of the most High" (Tob. 4.11).

 

"Prayer is good with fasting and alms and righteousness. A little with righteousness is better than much with unrighteousness. It is better to give alms than to lay up gold" (Tob. 12.8).

 

"For alms doth deliver from death, and shall purge away all sin. Those that exercise alms and righteousness shall be filled with life" (Tob 12.9).

 

"Water will quench a flaming fire; and alms maketh an atonement for sins" (Sira. 3.30).

 

"The alms of a man is as a signet with him, and he will keep the good deeds of man as the apple of the eye" (Sira. 17.22).

 

"Yet have thou patience with a man in poor estate, and delay not to shew him mercy" (Sira . 29.8).

 

"Shut up alms in thy storehouses: and it shall deliver thee from all affliction" (Sira. 29.12).


Bible | Daily Readings | Agbeya | Books | Lyrics | Gallery | Media | Links

https://st-takla.org/books/en/fr-tadros-yacoub/short-stories/0507-castle.html

Short URL (link):
tak.la/rq65jyp