St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories
St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories

Christian Library | Full Free Coptic Books | Orthodox Library

Short Stories (Stories for the Youth), book by Father Tadros Yacoub Malaty

471- The Blue Bird

 

St-Takla.org Image: Bluebird flying. صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: عصفور أزرق يطير.

St-Takla.org Image: Bluebird flying.

صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: عصفور أزرق يطير.

Edward and William were two young boys from a very rich family and they were away from home. When mother’s day drew near, they competed to get a valuable and attractive gift to their mother. They were in a dilemma as to what to get their mother who was rich and had everything. They looked for two gifts for their mother. Finally, Edward heard of a blue bird that was very beautiful and able to speak five languages.

Edward bought the bird, which cost him a few thousand dollars, and sent it to his mother with a card and some nice words to express his love and appreciation to his mother. He waited for his mother to call to tell him what she thought of his valuable and beautiful gift. He waited until noon on mother’s day, then he called his mother who did not mention the gift. He was surprised so he asked if she received it, and she thanked him for the card and the nice words but not the bird. He then asked if she received the bird and she replied that she received it and it was very tasty.

Edward was shocked that his mother killed the bird that cost him several thousand dollars, when he expected her to teach him some of the bird’s languages. He wanted her to have fun in talking to him. Nevertheless, she did not appreciate the value of the gift.

That is what happens to us when God gives us invaluable gifts and talents. We use them not as God intended but to satisfy our lusts and bodily pleasures.

→ English translation of the story here at St-Takla.org: طائر الزرقا.

St-Takla.org Divider

God, You gave me love to emulate You, as You are Love itself.

In my stupidity I turned it into cheap lust.

You gave me anger to use against my evil,

Instead, I used it against my brethren, so I killed my inner peace.

You gave me fear to be scared of all corruption,

Instead, I used it for the destruction and the death of my soul.

Give me the spirit of wisdom and discrimination,

To know, with Your Holy Spirit, how to direct all Your gifts to me.


Bible | Daily Readings | Agbeya | Books | Lyrics | Gallery | Media | Links

https://st-takla.org/books/en/fr-tadros-yacoub/short-stories/0471-bluebird.html

Short URL (link):
tak.la/dysfss3