St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories
St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories

Christian Library | Full Free Coptic Books | Orthodox Library

Short Stories (Stories for the Youth), book by Father Tadros Yacoub Malaty

457- The Frogs and the Fighting Bulls(2)

 

The young frogs asked their mother, “Why are you sad, mother?”

“How can I not be sad? Don’t you see how these two bulls are fighting fiercely?”

St-Takla.org Image: Two Ox with yoke for the Plough صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: ثوران (ثور) موضوع عليهم النير، للمحراث

St-Takla.org Image: Two Ox with yoke for the Plough

صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: ثوران (ثور) موضوع عليهم النير، للمحراث

“But what do we have to do with them, they belong to the community of bulls; while we have our own community. We are frogs and they are differently made: they have different bodies, different food and a different way of life. So why should we be concerned with them?”

“It’s wrong to say that for we’re part of one whole and integrated creation. It’s impossible to draw lines between creatures, for whatever happens in the world of the bulls affects even our world of frogs.”

“I can’t understand what you’re saying, mother. What is it that can happen even if all the bulls were to fight each other? We live in the mud of the brook far away from them.”

While the young frog argued with his mother, the stronger bull had charged into the other bull, pushing him away so he could draw over the young cow to his side and marry her. The bull that was hit felt exhausted, and to flee from the power of his stronger opponent, he unwittingly escaped into the mud of the brook. He kept running backwards and forwards and as he did so he stamped tens of frogs that died instantly. The mother and her young frogs had to escape and the young one was shouting out, “Now I understand what you meant, mother.”

Many think with the same narrow-minded logic of that young frog. They care for themselves only. They might open up their hearts but only for their fellow men. However, a wise person should not separate his world from the world of the heavens, or that of animals, or birds, or insects. He needs to have love and concern for all that surrounds him.

→ English translation of the story here at St-Takla.org: الضفادع ومعركة ثورين.

St-Takla.org Divider

O Lord, you have created me to live in the world of mankind.

May my heart be obsessed with the heavenly world where they rejoice with me.

May I be kind to those in the world of animals, of birds, and even of plants.

Grant me a heart that is big enough to encompass tenderly the whole creation.

St-Takla.org Divider

 “Without love, you possess nothing of worth

Whereas if you have love, you lack nothing.

One who loves a brother or sister fulfills the law”

(St. Augustine).

_____

Footnotes and references for this page here at St-Takla.org:

(2) Llewelyn, Robert. The Joy of the Saints: Spiritual Readings throughout the Year. Springfield: Illinois, 1998. 114.


Bible | Daily Readings | Agbeya | Books | Lyrics | Gallery | Media | Links

https://st-takla.org/books/en/fr-tadros-yacoub/short-stories/0457-oxen.html

Short URL (link):
tak.la/pn6htnq