St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories
St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories

Christian Library | Full Free Coptic Books | Orthodox Library

Short Stories (Stories for the Youth), book by Father Tadros Yacoub Malaty

430- The Dilemma of the Worms of the Pool

 

On a night, the moon shined its light on a pool. A group of worms, living in the mud of the pool, gathered to discuss the life they lead in that pool.

“Do you think that there exists something else in the world other than this pool? It is so huge that no one can reach its end even if one crawls in it all one’s life.”

“Yes, can’t you see, wise worm, moonlight at night and sunshine during the day?”

“I can’t deny the presence of the sun and the moon. I think that there’s nothing but them and the pool on earth.”

A big worm laughed and said, “you’re a worm with such a limited mind. Isn’t there a frog that comes down to us in the mud then leaves us at night? There must be another world beside this pool.”

“Let’s ask the frog for he might offer us his experience.”

The worms walked toward the frog and said to him, “Hello big frog!”

“Hello!”

“Every night we see you leave our world. Is there another world outside the Pool?”

The frog laughed haughtily and said, “There’s a very big world outside the pool.”

“Can you describe it to us?”

St-Takla.org Image: A worm (black caterpillar with white spots) - Fasil Bath, Gonder - From St-Takla.org's Ethiopia visit - Photograph by Michael Ghaly for St-Takla.org, April-June 2008. صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: دودة (يسروع أسود اللون مع نقاط بيضاء) - من ألبوم صور آثار حمام فاسيل الملك، جوندر، الحبشة - تصوير مايكل غالي لموقع الأنبا تكلاهيمانوت، من رحلة موقع الأنبا تكلا إلى إثيوبيا، إبريل - يونيو 2008.

St-Takla.org Image: A worm (black caterpillar with white spots) - Fasil Bath, Gonder - From St-Takla.org's Ethiopia visit - Photograph by Michael Ghaly for St-Takla.org, April-June 2008.

صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: دودة (يسروع أسود اللون مع نقاط بيضاء) - من ألبوم صور آثار حمام فاسيل الملك، جوندر، الحبشة - تصوير مايكل غالي لموقع الأنبا تكلاهيمانوت، من رحلة موقع الأنبا تكلا إلى إثيوبيا، إبريل - يونيو 2008.

“I go nearby to a field full of fruit trees. There’s also a very big house close to the garden wall where the farmer lives. In the garden, there’re red apples, yellow apples, yellow oranges and red and violet flowers. In the morning, I see birds with wings flying in the air.”

The poor worms could not understand the meaning of dry land, garden, fruits and colors. Some believed what the frog said and asked him to explain in more detail what he sees. The other worms mocked at the frog saying that he was mocking at them.

In the morning, one of the worms wanted so much to see the strange world that existed outside the mud they lived in. He found the branch of a small plant and climbed it to see what was outside the mud. Nevertheless, He was hit hard by the Sun heat and was almost completely dried up. He started shivering very hard and had no choice but to jump from the top of the branch and fall in the mud in order to live.

That story reminds us of what the psalmist said:

“I am a worm.”

I live in this material world like being in the mud of a Pool. When will my nature change so I can rush from the mud to heaven? There I shall see what eye has not seen, hear what ear has not heard, and realize what have not entered into the heart of man.

→ English translation of the story here at St-Takla.org: حيرة ديدان في البِركة.

St-Takla.org Divider

You created me, my Lord, of Your breath.

You do not dwell in the mud of this world.

Notwithstanding, You are the Life of that world.

Renew my nature so that I can soar to Your heavens.

I would like to leave the dust of this world and the mud of this pool

To live with You forever.

Give my body incorruption instead of its corruption,

And immortality instead of mortality.

Let me don Your likeness O the New Adam.

My body shall then become spiritual,

Able to practice the heavenly life.


Bible | Daily Readings | Agbeya | Books | Lyrics | Gallery | Media | Links

https://st-takla.org/books/en/fr-tadros-yacoub/short-stories/0430-worms.html

Short URL (link):
tak.la/cbqzwx7