St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories
St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories

Christian Library | Full Free Coptic Books | Orthodox Library

Short Stories (Stories for the Youth), book by Father Tadros Yacoub Malaty

133- Where are the bones of the emperor Philip?

 

Alexander the great had a great friendship with the famous philosopher Diogenes. One day as they were walking together, Diogenes asked to be excused from the emperor so that he may go through the cemetery. The emperor then asked him if he could go with him. Both of them entered the cemetery and suddenly Diogenes sat among the heap of bones staring at them with great interest as if he was looking for something. As Diogenes stayed a while staring at the bones, the emperor asked him, “What are you searching for?”

St-Takla.org Image: Ancient bust of Alexander the Great. Marble, Hellenistic artwork. from Piperno Vecchio, H. 64 cm (25 in.), Palazzo Nuovo, first floor, great hall - Capitoline Museums (Musei Capitolini), Rome, Italy. It is located in Piazza del Campidoglio, on top of the Capitoline Hill. It was established in 1734. - Photograph by Michael Ghaly for St-Takla.org, September 21, 2014. صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: تمثال رخامي أثري يصور الإسكندر الأكبر، فن من العصر الهلنستي، من بيبيرنو فيكيو، طول 64 سم.، قصر نوفو، الدور الأول، القاعة الكبرى - صور متاحف كابيتوليني، روما، إيطاليا. وهو مجموعة متاحف في متحف واحد، موجود في أعلى تل كاپيتوليني، وأنشئ عام 1734 م. - تصوير مايكل غالي لموقع الأنبا تكلاهيمانوت، 21 سبتمبر 2014.

St-Takla.org Image: Ancient bust of Alexander the Great. Marble, Hellenistic artwork. from Piperno Vecchio, H. 64 cm (25 in.), Palazzo Nuovo, first floor, great hall - Capitoline Museums (Musei Capitolini), Rome, Italy. It is located in Piazza del Campidoglio, on top of the Capitoline Hill. It was established in 1734. - Photograph by Michael Ghaly for St-Takla.org, September 21, 2014.

صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: تمثال رخامي أثري يصور الإسكندر الأكبر، فن من العصر الهلنستي، من بيبيرنو فيكيو، طول 64 سم.، قصر نوفو، الدور الأول، القاعة الكبرى - صور متاحف كابيتوليني، روما، إيطاليا. وهو مجموعة متاحف في متحف واحد، موجود في أعلى تل كاپيتوليني، وأنشئ عام 1734 م. - تصوير مايكل غالي لموقع الأنبا تكلاهيمانوت، 21 سبتمبر 2014.

The philosopher responded, “I’m searching among the bones to distinguish the bones of your late father, the emperor Philip, from the bones of the slaves; it seems that I am unable to differentiate.”

The emperor shook his head and said, “Truly we’re all equal in death.”

→ English translation of the story here at St-Takla.org: أين عظام الإمبراطور فيليب؟

St-Takla.org Divider

Lord grant me not to be concerned about the burial of my body,

Or what becomes of my bones.

Grant me Lord to be concerned with sanctifying my body and my soul,

So that my body may share with my soul in the eternal glorification,

So both may live together in heaven.

When can I take off corruption to put on incorruption?

When can I depart from disgrace to enjoy the glory?

When will my death be crushed so I may live forever?

St-Takla.org Divider

“If we want not to fear death, then let us stand where Christ is,

So that he may say regarding us,

“I tell you truly, there are some standing here who shall not taste death” (Luke 9.27).

Those who have truly reached unity in Christ will not taste death.

They undoubtedly just experience death of the body and are exposed to it,

But the life of the soul remains.

We ought not to close our ears, but open it so that we may hear Jesus’ voice.

Whoever hears His voice will not fear death”

(Saint Ambrose).


Bible | Daily Readings | Agbeya | Books | Lyrics | Gallery | Media | Links

https://st-takla.org/books/en/fr-tadros-yacoub/short-stories/0133-bones.html

Short URL (link):
tak.la/nx554kx