Rites and Rituals of the Coptic Orthodox Church
Dictionary of Coptic Orthodox Church Terms and Terminology
* It is oftenly found in a special room, at the north-west of the Church's nave.
* During baptismal rites the priest recites certain prayers to sanctify the water and the baptized person.
* The baptized person (or his godfather) renounces Satan, i.e. rejects him, declaring his faith in God, Church and resurrection of the dead.
* The baptized person is immersed in water three times, in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, signifying that he is buried with the Lord for three days.
* Receptacle for baptismal water, normally made of stone, more rarely of metal. From early times, baptism is by immersion. It was a large basin below ground-level in which the neophyte stood within the water.
Jump to letter index page
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Like & share St-Takla.org
? Saint Takla Haymanout Website: Coptic Orthodox Church - Alexandria, Egypt / URL: https://st-takla.org / Contact us at