St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories
St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories

Christian Library | Full Free Coptic Books | Orthodox Library

Short Stories (Stories for the Youth), book by Father Tadros Yacoub Malaty

541- The Proud Lion

 

 The animals held a serious conference for fear of a proud lion who claimed to be the king of the animals and devoured an animal every day. All animals got very perplexed. They all lost their peace and waited for their inescapable fate. The jackal told them, “Why should we always be frightened? Let’s make a treaty with the lion. Instead of letting him eat whoever he likes, let’s cast lot and see who should be eaten everyday.”

They all agreed and when they asked the lion, he agreed. On the first day, they cast lots and the jackal was chosen. Some animals took the jackal to present him to the lion but the jackal said, “Let me go alone for I know how to deal with this proud lion.” The animals agreed and the jackal did not show up till noon. When he went to the lion, he saw him very furious and hungry.

“Why are you late? Don’t you know that I am the king of the animals? Why do you leave me so hungry?”

“No master, the matter is much graver than this.”

St-Takla.org Image: Lion and two lionesses - Photograph by Michael Ghaly for St-Takla.org, South Africa, 2008 صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: أسد و2 لبؤة - تصوير مايكل غالي لـ: موقع الأنبا تكلا هيمانوت، جنوب أفريقيا، 2008

St-Takla.org Image: Lion and two lionesses - Photograph by Michael Ghaly for St-Takla.org, South Africa, 2008

صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: أسد و2 لبؤة - تصوير مايكل غالي لـ: موقع الأنبا تكلا هيمانوت، جنوب أفريقيا، 2008

“What do you mean?”

“On my way to you in the morning, I saw a fat wolf which would have been a delicious meal for you.”

“Did he refuse to come with you?”

“No your majesty, he came with me but on our way, Another lion met us and asked us where we were going. I told him that I was going to present that delicious meal to my master the lion. He said furiously, “Is there another lion other than me here!” I said, “come and see.” He refused and devoured the wolf saying, “There’ll never be a king but me.””

“What?”

“He doesn’t recognize you a king thinking himself to be the only king.”

“Where is he?”

“Come and see for we won’t accept a king but you.”

The lion forgot his hunger and got very furious asking the jackal to show him where he was. The jackal took him to an old well with little water. At the well he said to the lion, “Look. He is at his den thinking himself the only king ever found.”

The lion lifted up his forelegs and looked at the well to see his image reflected on the water. Being furious he thought that it was another lion. He roared and threatened to find another lion doing the same. The lion jumped into the well to kill the other one but found himself imprisoned in the well unable to get out. Then the jackal called the animals, “Come and see what happened to the lion, the king, because of his pride and anger.”

→ English translation of the story here at St-Takla.org: الأسد المتكبر.

St-Takla.org Divider

 

Pride made Satan descend to hell.

While meekness lifted up Virgin Mary to become the mother of God the Word.

Grant me O Lord the partnership of Your meekness.

To enjoy the partnership of Your eternal glory.

 

“When pride comes, then comes shame; but with the humble is wisdom” (Prov. 11.2).

 

“By pride comes nothing but strife, but with the well-advised is wisdom” (Prov. 13.10).

 

“Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall” (Prov. 16.18).


Bible | Daily Readings | Agbeya | Books | Lyrics | Gallery | Media | Links

https://st-takla.org/books/en/fr-tadros-yacoub/short-stories/0541-arrogant.html

Short URL (link):
tak.la/93h2jnw