St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories
St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories

Christian Library | Full Free Coptic Books | Orthodox Library

Short Stories (Stories for the Youth), book by Father Tadros Yacoub Malaty

288- The Woodsman’s Dream

 

John went to the jungle with his axe. He cut some wood to sell to get money for his expenses and for his family. It was a very hot and sunny day and John was sweating a lot. After a few hours of cutting wood he grew weak and very exhausted. He threw his axe, sat on the ground and started complaining on how he had to do all the work to get money for his family and how his back was aching and his arms and legs really sore. He said to himself, “My food is dry bread and some beans. I’ve never tasted meat yet and I live like a slave that owns nothing. Gold has no place in my cottage.” When he got upset and was exhausted he fell asleep. He dreamt of a very handsome man whose face was shining like a star and he had a gold bar in his hand. The man said, “God heard your complaints and cries and He sent me to ask what you want.”

John said, “My desire is that whatever I touch becomes gold.”

The young man smiled and said, “Whatever you asked, God will give you.”

St-Takla.org Image: Gold bars صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: قضبان ذهب، سبائك ذهبية

St-Takla.org Image: Gold bars.

صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: قضبان ذهب، سبائك ذهبية.

The man touched John with his gold bar. John was surprised and thought it was a joke and then the man disappeared. John woke up from this dream and grabbed his axe to start working but the axe turned into gold. John was shocked but at the same time he was very happy. He kept touching the pieces of wood which kept on turning to golden pieces. He couldn’t believe that he would become the richest man in the world. John screamed to the people around him to help him carry all this gold he had. Suddenly he felt thirsty. He took his clay pot to drink but the pot turned into gold. When he tried to drink the water, the water also turned into gold. He soon became very thirsty and felt dying so he cried to God to help him overcome this nightmare. Suddenly John woke up and found the clay pot next to him. He thanked God for what he saw was just a dream. He drank the water in his cup while thanking God for what he had. He went home happy and grateful and never complained about anything anymore.

→ English translation of the story here at St-Takla.org: حلم الحطَّاب.

St-Takla.org Divider

Thank You God for everything.

 Nobody cares for me like You do.

 You are the wise heavenly Father who controls everything.

 Even my hairs are numbered for You.

 My soul is grateful all my life for all the blessings I have,

 And all the gifts I got without knowing.

Wherever you go, He sees you.

If you light your lamp, He sees you.

If you switch it off, He sees you.

Fear Him who always sees you.

If you want to commit sin, go to a place where He can’t see you,

Then do whatever you like.

(St. Augustine).

 


Bible | Daily Readings | Agbeya | Books | Lyrics | Gallery | Media | Links

https://st-takla.org/books/en/fr-tadros-yacoub/short-stories/0288-dream.html

Short URL (link):
tak.la/d4xgs77