St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories
St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories

Christian Library | Full Free Coptic Books | Orthodox Library

Short Stories (Stories for the Youth), book by Father Tadros Yacoub Malaty

93- I Wish to Possess What you Possess

 

A wealthy man felt torment plaguing his soul, for his worries had suffocated him despite his enormous wealth. He left his castle which was surrounded by a vast land, and hired some workers to dig a lake and establish some canals to convert all this land to gardens that would surround his castle.

The wealthy man then heard one of these workers singing. He stood from afar listening to this worker and he heard him say:

“My father is rich with all the castles He has prepared for my family and me,

Generous in giving, He gives freely without reproach.

All the riches of the world are in His hands.

St-Takla.org Image: A rich man talking to one of his workers, by Amgad Wadea صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: رجل ثري يتحدث مع أحد عماله، رسم أمجد وديع

St-Takla.org Image: A rich man talking to one of his workers, by Amgad Wadea

صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: رجل ثري يتحدث مع أحد عماله، رسم أمجد وديع

His treasuries are full of precious stones and gems,

With silver and gold and all that is precious.

I am truly the son of the King, the son of the great King.

My Savior Jesus prepares for me an inheritance and glory.

Who is happier than I am!

Who is richer than me!”

The heart of the miserable rich man was moved before the words of this worker, which came from a joyful heart. The rich man approached the worker, greeted him then asked, “Timo, why are you singing meaningless words? You’re but a worker digging canals but you claim that you’re rich, happy and the son of a rich king.”

Timo answered, “My lord, I don’t say meaningless words, but truth I live and sense with every breath in my life. God is my Father. He gives me much. Thus, I sing praises to Him. My hut is small and is on the outskirts of the city, but I’m happy with it. When I finish my working day, I return to my hut and find my wife and children awaiting me. They kiss me and I embrace and kiss them. We sit together, pray, thank God and then we eat with gladness. Why shouldn’t I sing to my rich God then?”

The rich man sighed saying to himself, “He’s a simple and poor worker, but he’s rich with his God who fills his heart and the hearts of his family with love. I’m wealthy. I possess a castle and land and fields, but I’m poor. His family is happy and rejoice with him, while mine awaits their inheritance.”

The rich man looked at the worker, Timo, and then said to him, “Timo, I wish to possess what you possess.”(7)

“Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He

Promised to those who love Him” (Jam. 2.5)?

→ English translation of the story here at St-Takla.org: أريد أن أقتني ما تقتنيه أنت!

St-Takla.org Divider

You are my richness, You who fills my heart with love.

You are my life, You who bestows resurrection to my soul.

You are my praise and joy, O the desire of my heart.

I would possess You and ask for nothing else.

May I carry You within me, You who fills heaven and earth.

Let me see You face to face, my Good Savior.

_____

Footnotes and references for this page here at St-Takla.org:

(7) Naismith, Archibald. 2400 Outlines, Notes, Quotes, Anecdotes for Sermons. Vol. 2, 205.


Bible | Daily Readings | Agbeya | Books | Lyrics | Gallery | Media | Links

https://st-takla.org/books/en/fr-tadros-yacoub/short-stories/0093-want.html

Short URL (link):
tak.la/pba5sc6