St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories
St-Takla.org  >   books  >   en  >   fr-tadros-yacoub  >   short-stories

Christian Library | Full Free Coptic Books | Orthodox Library

Short Stories (Stories for the Youth), book by Father Tadros Yacoub Malaty

84- A Treasury of Psalms

 

A Sunday school servant once asked me to visit his grandmother (his father’s mother) who had contracted the condition of arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). During the visit the grandson tried in vain to introduce me to her, but she had completely lost her memory.

St-Takla.org Image: Praying hands, Hands of Jesus - by Amgad Wadea. صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: يدان تصلي، يدا المسيح - رسم أمجد وديع.

St-Takla.org Image: Praying hands, Hands of Jesus - by Amgad Wadea.

صورة في موقع الأنبا تكلا: يدان تصلي، يدا المسيح - رسم أمجد وديع.

I tried to speak to her about God’s love for us, our closeness to Him, our prayers and the enjoyment of the communion, but all my attempts failed. Her whole conversation revolved around her beloved son who, years ago left for Germany and his share in her inheritance.

In the same week, I visited the other grandmother of the same servant. She was a pious individual who loved the Psalms, but suffered from the same illness. I could not converse with her but she continually recited the Psalms. When she awoke at dawn, she would begin reciting the Psalms and would not stop except for her meals.

Thus the first treasured her worries and the second, her Psalms. The time came when each would reveal what they had stored throughout the years.

This is what happens with you and me. What you treasure for yourself all day will be served to your day and night dreams by your weak subconscious mind.

The thoughts you treasure for yourself during the week will prevail over you during your worship in the Holy Liturgy.

What you treasure for yourself during your childhood and youth will filtrate into your old age or during your sickness.

→ English translation of the story here at St-Takla.org: مخزن مزامير.

St-Takla.org Divider

Grant me O Lord that You become my treasure,

Let me acquire You, be occupied with You and enjoy communion with You.

You are my everlasting treasure.

You appear in my thoughts and also in my dreams.

You fill my whole being in this world,

So that I will enjoy the communion of Your glory in the coming world.

May Your Holy Spirit work in my depths

And prepare for You a new abode, O Holy,

To dwell, with Your Father within me.


Bible | Daily Readings | Agbeya | Books | Lyrics | Gallery | Media | Links

https://st-takla.org/books/en/fr-tadros-yacoub/short-stories/0084-psalms.html

Short URL (link):
tak.la/ph2pk8w