1. The Martyrdom of St. Ignatius, Patriarch of Antioch.
2. The Departure of St. Philogonus, Patriarch of Antioch.
3. The Birth of St. Takla Haymanot, the Ethiopian.
1. On this day, the honorable St. Ignatius, Patriarch of Antioch, was martyred. He was a disciple of St. John the Evangelist and travelled with him to many cities. St. John ordained him Patriarch of Antioch where he preached the life giving Gospel, converted many to the knowledge of God, baptized them, illumined them, and showed them the error of worshipping idols.
The pagans were enraged, they seized him and tortured him with various tortures. They put burning coals in his hands and pressed his hands for about two hours. Then they burnt his side with red hot pitch and burning oil. They combed his body with iron combs. When they became tired of torturing him, they cast him in prison where he stayed for a long time. When they remembered him, they brought him out and promised him great rewards and then threatened him. As he was steadfast in his faith, they threw him to the wild beasts and they devoured him and rendered him into pieces. He delivered up his pure spirit in the hand of the Lord Whom he loved.
His prayers be with us. Amen.
2. On this day also, St. Philogonus, Patriarch of Antioch, departed. This saint was married and had a daughter. When his wife died, he became a monk. For his great virtue, his bountiful knowledge, his ascetic life, and his deep devotion, he was chosen Patriarch over the city of Antioch. He shepherded the flock of Christ well and protected it from the Arian wolves and the followers of Macdonius and Sabilius.
As a patriarch, he lived in piety and asceticism, renouncing the world, and never owning one dinari or a second tunic. He completed his strife and departed in peace. St. John Chrysostom had praised him in his sermons.
His prayers be with us all. Amen.
3. Today also, we commemorate the birthday of St. Takla Haymanot (Thecla Hemanot), the great Ethiopian saint.
His prayers be with us and Glory be to our God forever. Amen.
Days of the month of Koiak: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30
Like & share St-Takla.org
© Saint Takla Haymanout Website: Coptic Orthodox Church - Alexandria, Egypt / URL: http://St-Takla.org / Contact us at